An evolution of the tested DX telephoto zoom, the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR from Nikon is a 105-450mm-equivalent lens featuring an updated focusing mechanism along with a compact form factor. One extra-low dispersion element is used in the optical design to greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range in order to maintain image clarity. A Super Integrated Coating has also been applied to minimize reflections and flare for greater contrast. Suiting both photo and video applications, the AF-P designation indicates the use of a pulse stepping motor that offers notably quiet, fast, and precise autofocus performance. Additionally, Vibration Reduction image stabilization compensates for up to four stops of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
- Telephoto zoom is designed for DX-format Nikon F-mount cameras and provides a 105-450mm equivalent focal length.
- One extra-low dispersion element greatly reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- A Super Integrated Coating has been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- AF-P pulse motor uses stepping motors to deliver impressively smooth, quiet, and fast autofocus performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications.
- VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by four stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Autofocus and VR switches have been removed from the lens design for a sleek profile; these operations are now accessible in compatible cameras' menu systems.